Each year in the U.S., roughly 300 to 400 physicians die by suicide.
- Given that a typical doctor has about 2,300 patients, under his or her care, that means more than a million Americans will lose a physician to suicide this year. (Physician Suicide 101 by Pamela Wible.)
- Depression is much higher than in the general population.
- Present Cause of Stress
- Herculean tasks are facing the profession
- Strenuous expectations.
- Onerous bureaucracy.
- Change in the doctor-patient relationship.
- Cost containment with an increase in practice overhead cost.
- A new trend to criminalize actions.